[Tagging] preproposal : internet webcam

Egil Hjelmeland privat at egil-hjelmeland.no
Sat Nov 30 17:40:27 UTC 2013

On 29. nov. 2013 09:15, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 2013/11/28 Egil Hjelmeland <privat at egil-hjelmeland.no
> <mailto:privat at egil-hjelmeland.no>>
>
>     I still do not think man_made=surveillance is perfect. But I do
>     not have huge problems with it as long as it is documented.
>

> If something is properly documented in OSM it is a near to perfection
> as it will ever get ;-)
>
> I also think that surveillance does make sense in this context.
>

>     But if I kindly refer you to
>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dsurveillance ,
>     you will see that it talk about Big Brother, not about webcams. It
>     does not even define how to link to a image on internet.
>

> Have a look at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:Surveillance
>
> man_made=surveillance
> surveillance=webcam
> contact:webcam=<url>
>
> Seems fine to me.
>
>     So when only a few hundred webcams displaying landscape are mapped
>     in the world, I would say there is a real problem that people do
>     not know how to map them.
>

> Or that not a lot are interested in tagging them. Everyone has
> different interests - I don't think I would ever map a webcam. But I
> do map fire hydrants... sometimes ;-)
>

> Best regards,
> Martin

OK, webcam is surveillance then.

I am not sure about surveillance=webcam, current values are
indoor|outdoor|public, which I think is orthogonal to being a webcam.

contact:webcam=<url> is fine, that tell we have a webcam. Do we really
need anything more to tell its a webcam?

Taginfo lists 171 contact:webcam , only 53 url:webcam, so contact:webcam
has a lead.

surveillance:zone=weather|traffic|scenic as mentioned elsewhere in the
thread seem to me like a good idea.

Should it be allowed with a list of surveillance:zone values,  like
surveillance:zone=scenic;town or surveillance:zone=scenic;snow ?

So my revised suggestion to tag a webcam public on internet is

man_made=surveillance
surveillance= indoor|outdoor|public *
surveillance:type=camera *
surveillance:zone=weather|traffic|scenic *

contact:webcam=<url>

name=*
operator=*
description=*
camera:direction= compass degrees *
camera:angle = horizontal angle of view  *

* means optional

In order to handle the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Extended_tags_for_Key:Surveillance#more_than_one_camera_mouted_on_a_pole
case I
suggest make each camera as a relation, the only member is the location
node. The location node could be a man_made=mast.

The relation could be tagged as type=surveillance, in combination with
the tags mentioned above.

-- Egil