[Tagging] Howto tag a play room

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 12:02:03 UTC 2013

2013/10/1 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> 2013/10/1 Дмитрий Киселев <dmitry.v.kiselev at gmail.com>
>>
>> How to tag them?
>> As playground=playroom with some additional tags, or it's better to use
>> individual leisure=playroom tag?
>

> are you going to add an attribute to the supermarket or map the playroom
> with its own geometry?
> According to the wiki the playground tag is used to tag individual
> playground equipment: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:playground like
> a sandpit etc.
>
> If you don't consider the playroom a single playground equipment you could
> use leisure=playroom like you suggested, or maybe leisure=playground
> together with indoor=yes?

Sounds OK to me - it seems to me that the main differences from a
"typical" playground can be treated as attributes (indoor=yes,
supervised=yes).

> Btw.: the current definition for leisure=playground says: "Marks a
> children's playground. These are commonly small outdoor areas with
> children's play equipment such as swings, climbing frames and roundabouts."
> 2 questions:
> 1. does "commonly small outdoor area" mean that uncommon ones can be indoor
> and marked with the same tag?
> 2. why do they have to be "small"? How big is "small"?

My reading of "commonly" in that sentence implies that there is no
need for them to be small, nor outdoor. It indicates that the sentence
is just an illustration, not a constraint. I think the sentence works
for a first-language speaker, but if you think it needs to be clearer
(for non-native speakers), please do edit.

> My suggestion is to remove the words "small" and "commonly" and to decide
> whether they have to be outdoor and what would be the suggestion for indoor
> (e.g. playroom).

Sounds good to me.

Best
Dan