[Tagging] Which map supports complete bridge rendering

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 15:00:31 UTC 2013

Yes, I agree, ael. I did manage to get an updated map of Thailand compiled
into a gmapsupp.img file and it did contain the changes I had made a few
days ago. It was cool. But it took 4 hours of command line fiddling,
changing environment variables, etc., stuff I used to do back in the old
days of MS-DOS, days I'd rather leave behind for good <g>

Shoot, then once I got that part done I started reading about "bounds" and
using other programs like Osmosis. Egads! I suppose I could write scripts
(batch files) to semi-automate the tedium but, as you say, it's a big
investment in time, time I'd rather use extending the map of Thailand.

I will be happy to leave the heavy lifting to Lambertus and just take fresh
downloads of northern Thailand when they become available.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM, ael <law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 05:02:04PM +0100, SomeoneElse wrote:
> > (as has already been mentioned) if you're already using Lambertus'
> > maps than I'd be tempted to start creating your own using mkgmap
> > <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap>.  It would allow you to
> > change what gets displayed a little at a time, so that at no stage
> > do you end up with a blank screen thinking "I wonder why that didn't
> > work".  There's lots of info on the help set - search for "mkgmap"
> > or "garmin".
>
> Chipping in here as someone who has just started using mkgmap, I must
> say that the documentation is extremely obscure in places. Some
> sections of the help in mkgmap --help=options seem to be written in
> something not entirely unlike English.
>
> Following the documented examples produces maps which don't support
> searching. Googling shows that this has been a common problem in the
> past, but the current documentation suggests that it will just work. But
> it doesn't.
>
> I imagine that with enough persistance and reading many more documents,
> it will eventually become clear, but I think a newbie needs to be warned
> that mkgmap needs a very large investment in time to understand how to
> use it effectively.
>
> ael

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska