[Tagging] Hiking route abandoned

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Wed Oct 2 20:10:23 UTC 2013

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/10/2 Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com>
>
> > Renderers often don't support life cycle tags, but that doesn't
> matter
> > because we don't tag for the renderer/applications, right?
>

> This is nothing particular about renderers or routers, it is generally
> flawed approach to add tags like the so-called "life cycle" tags to
> change
> the meaning of other tags (e.g. instead of a restaurant you'd express
> that
> there once was a restaurant or similar). Opposed to this, the
> prefixing
> makes it quite safe to asume that these objects won't be
> misinterpreted.
>
> I think there is a misconception about what is expressed with the
> "don't
> tag for the X" paradigm. The idea behind this is: do not use a tag
> that is
> actually rendered (or used in a routing engine) for something
> different
> than what the tag was intended for (just to make it appear, or to
> achieve
> in certain conditions the same behaviour even if the tag meaning is
> different). This doesn't imply we have to structure our data in a way
> that
> makes the evaluation particularily difficult or easy to get it wrong.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

I think it makes sense to tag a no-longer-maintained hiking trail in a manner that will still be rendered, but will be rendered in a manner that distinguishes it from an actively-maintained trail.  Some portions of a trail may remain visible for centuries, such as a well-built stone retaining wall.  Other portions may become impassable within months, due to landslides or fast-growing vegetation. Having both maintained and non-maintained trails marked will reduce the odds of someone accidentally getting onto a non-maintained trail at a junction point, a mistake that can be life-threatening in severe weather.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.