[Tagging] Ferry frequency

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri Oct 4 17:29:54 UTC 2013

Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> sabas88 wrote:
> > Duration is also important and currently used by OSRM
>
> Indeed. I actually edited duration out of my OSRM route profile
> because it
> gave misleading results for cycling - the router would often head for
> the
> nearest long-distance ferry, since ferries are often quicker than
> cycling,
> even if that ferry only ran once a week!
>
> cheers
> Richard
>

> --

That brings up an issue for routing in general, not just cycle-routing.  The routing algorithm needs to take into account the day of the week, and what time it will be when you reach a point with time-dependent restrictions, or only intermittent service (such as a bus or ferry).

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.