[Tagging] Wind turbines: big and small

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 12:47:03 UTC 2013

> Am 07/ott/2013 um 14:16 schrieb Dan S <danstowell+osm at gmail.com>:
>
> it
> doesn't know if the turbine is 5 feet high or 50 feet high. (This
> implies that tagging the height could be a solution... might be a bit
> tricky to get correct height data though...)

yes, tagging the height could be a solution. I'm generally using ele for the ground elevation and height for the highest point. In the case of a wind turbine, would you tag the highest rotor height or that of the support?

We could also have a tag for the rotor diameter. To determine the size of a windmill, the power output might also give an indication for rendering purpose. Other tags that could be used to distinguish more prominent ones (and that don't require precise measurements) could be landmark=yes

cheers,
Martin