[Tagging] Mapping the Black Forest

Michael Krämer ohrosm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 17:07:45 UTC 2013

Am 09.10.2013 16:32, schrieb Pieren:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Michael Krämer <ohrosm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another starting point could be the following (abandoned) proposal
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Region and its
>> discussion page.
>
> Bad idea. Replace "region" by "boundary" or "multipolygon" and you get
> it. Not really a good proposal trying to reinvent the wheel with
> different words.

Just for clarification: I suggested the wiki page as a starting point to
look into past discussions around this topic.

I fully agree that this proposal is abandoned for good reason.

Regarding the idea itself I agree with Martin: I do not think something
large scale and fuzzy like the Black Forest should be mapped in the
database at all. If you think about this a bit longer it would totally
be reasonable to create a giant multipolygon for an ocean or a continent
- to me that's no good idea.

Michael