[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Jonathan bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 18:27:03 UTC 2013

It doesn't need a hint, it should be making that decision currently on
all routes: is it quicker to get off and push if that is allowed.

Nothing needs to change to support this other than to tag routes using
ACCESS that a bicycle can't be pushed on.

I reiterate, bicycle=dismount is a pointless tag, it shouldn't be
there.  If you want to keep it then we need a car=slowdown and
car=speedup tags.

The only need I can think of where you need to signal an unusual change
that access can't cover is a turn restriction that says cycles can't
turn right but maybe have to use some underpass for safety reasons.
This is already covered by existing tags and methods.

Jonathan

http://bigfatfrog67.me