[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 11:17:31 UTC 2013

2013/10/11 Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) <robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com>

> (a) bicycle=yes + bicycle_pushed=yes
> (b) bicycle=yes + bicycle_pushed=no
> (c) bicycle=no + bicycle_pushed=yes
> (d) bicycle=no + bicycle_pushed=no

IMHO we should encourage tagging of the permission of pedestrians to push a
bicycle only for those few places where it isn't allowed to do so (and
probably in many of these cases it won't just be forbidden to push a
bicycle or two, but also to carry it/them, while it might mostly be allowed
to carry the bicycles in a box just like you'd be allowed to carry any
other big loads).

A normal dedicated cycleway doesn't allow you to push your bicycle because
pedestrians aren't allowed there, but I wouldn't tag this explicitly on
each of these cycleways because it would lead to a huge amount of
redundance (as mostly pushing a bicycle means nothing other than "foot").

cheers,
Martin