[Tagging] Substation proposal approved - and a suggestion for a post-vote change

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun Oct 13 13:53:01 UTC 2013

2013/10/13 Ole Nielsen / osm <on-osm at xs4all.nl>

> I surely wouldn't associate CERN with "distribution". They may have their
> own internal industrial distribution network but "substation=industrial"
> is more appropriate for such internal facilities.

+1 substation=industrial

> The idea behind "transmission" and "distribution" is to provide data
> consumers a hint about the role of the substation without having to look
> for the voltage tag (which may be missing or having multiple ;-separated
> values). The 100 kV specified threshold is only a guideline and if the
> mapper think that a 70 kV substation is mainly for transmission then it
> may be indicated as such. Another example: 132/10 kV substations are not
> uncommon in Denmark and they seem most appropriately to be considered
> distribution stations.

The question is to know which is the target of that kind of "hint" and will
everyone will understand it as such ?

You're assuming 132 kV/10 kV substation are for distribution because you
find 10 kV inside but operator can use it a way OSM won't know.

That's why I'm tagging substation=transmission each time voltage goes above
30 kV inside the substation. IMHO

> I'm open to suggestions for alternatives to "distribution". Martin
> suggested "local_distribution" which is a bit long but otherwise a
> possibility. Some other ideas: "local" or "minor"?. I am just looking for
> a way to clearly distinguish those low voltage substations from other
> substations.
>

> BTW, "transformer=distribution" is currently defined as meaning a
> transformer supplying low voltage!

I'm ok with that.

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com