[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 09:29:19 UTC 2013

2013/10/16 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

>> Am 16/ott/2013 um 09:23 schrieb Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
>>
>> This feature of JOSM indicates to me that there is most likely widespread use of bicycle=no on crossings with the meaning of bicycle=dismount.
>
> there is really no difference in meaning between bicycle=no (cycling is legally forbidden) and bicycle=dismount (you may not cycle here legally)

Martin, your statement here is the same as the one which fly used to
start this thread, and a few of us in the UK have pointed out that
there is indeed a difference between two situations, both of which
occur often:
* cycling AND pushing a cycle are forbidden (which, UK-based, I
consider bicycle=no)
* cycling BUT NOT pushing a cycle is forbidden (which, UK-based, I
consider bicycle=dismount)

The problem is that different groups of people have interpreted
bicycle=no differently. That's the problem that this thread should
address, if it achieves anything. But it is not helpful when you
assert "there is really no difference in meaning".

Best
Dan