[Tagging] turn:lanes vs. turnlanes:turn

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 08:44:55 UTC 2013

Hi!

2013/10/17 Ronnie Soak <chaoschaos0909 at googlemail.com>

> So my questions:
> - Are these schemes both still actively used? Are there data consumers who
> use these already?

I don't know about turnlanes, but all the :lanes-keys I watch are
continuously growing in usage numbers.

> - What are the pros and cons of using them both in parallel?

The turnlanes concept is too limited, in my opinion, as it concentrates
only on junctions. We need information about lane connectivity also
elsewhere, e.g. on motorways if lanes are split. I strongly recommend a
common and generic scheme for lane connectivity.

> - Are there better ways of getting *all* of the information across without
> the redundancy introduced by using both schemes?

I think the time has come to dig up the old lane connectivity ideas [1].
I'm definitively not a friend of relations, but in this case I'm afraid
there's no reliable and robust solution without them. Should I revive the
lane connectivity and put it into a new proposal so we can collect thoughts
there?

br,
Martin

[1]