[Tagging] [Imports] [NUUG kart] kartverket imports to OpenStreetMap

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Oct 18 13:55:49 UTC 2013

On Friday 18 October 2013, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > If you think this information is completely unreliable you can of
> > course ignore it all together.  But keep in mind the river/stream
> > distinction is not an importance rating, therefore it is fully
> > possible for a river to run into a stream.
>
> this discussion belongs into tagging (pulling it there).
>
> I always saw the distinction as an importance rating actually. Where
> do you get your idea from? A river running into a stream would make
> no sense to me.

As discussed previously stream is defined by width and of course the
width of a waterway can decrease along its course - both through actual
water loss by evaporation/seepage (not relevant in Norway) as well as
due to terrain (for example a waterway being relatively wide and
shallow on a flat upland while becomming narrow and deep in a narrow
valley further downstream).

And even if you'd change the definition of river/stream to represent
importance this could never be locally verifiable and globally
consistent at the same time.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/