[Tagging] Waterway river vs stream. Was [Imports] [NUUG kart] kartverket imports to OpenStreetMap

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 19 15:14:19 UTC 2013

> 2013/10/19 Tyrfing <tyrfingosm at gmail.com <mailto:tyrfingosm at gmail.com>>
>
>     Using "if an able person can jump it" as the rule has some issues.
>

> +1, it also depends heavily on the surroundings (surface, steepness,
> solidity of the riverbank, ...) if you can effective jump over it, just
> a small width doesn't tell you anything if this is a barrier to a hiker
> or not.

by no doubt the distinction is a problem and width does not work. Best
would be the volume on averaged water flow.

I wonder why we do not have waterway=stem though.

But this does not change the fact that either the river is the result of
some other waterways, fed by some water body (water=*,glacier) or it
will start as something smaller than river.

At least in the last case a relation might be useful.

Cheers fly