[Tagging] Utility corridor mapping

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Sep 4 05:21:21 UTC 2013

To see how it feels, I've started to tag my local area with:

utilities=underground

In areas where I know that all overhead wires have been undergrounded.  A
complete tag list might be:

utilities=underground  ( no overhead utilities are present )
utilities=overhead  (overhead wires are visible)
utilities=none    (it is known that utilities don't run in this corridor,
even underground)

But I will assume a default of utilities=overhead  in this region.

This makes a base assumption that our road centerlines represent a
"corridor", which
has various attributes (lanes, sidewalks, utilities).  Later refinements
can add detail of course
and split out elements.

It maps the visible part of our world (the wires), without intending to map
the power network.

And it uses common terms (e.g. undergrounding) even though they are not
precise.