[Tagging] School and training

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 14:17:36 UTC 2013

Two big counter-examples to your argument are restaurants and places of
worship:  "If I'm looking for a [Chinese restaurant or Catholic church] I
am not interested in finding also a [pizza restaurant or Synagogue]"

That said, what you're proposing (separate amenity tags for different types
of other schools) seems to be what's happening anyway, albeit slowly.
Here's the top amenity tags with a value including school (from
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=amenity#values, searching for
values with "school"):

school    546360
driving_school    3851
preschool    225
dancing_school    174
ski_school    112
school;place_of_worship    92
music_school    65
language_school    40
prep_school    35
dance_school    19
School    18
school;kindergarten    12
place_of_worship;school    10
schoolyard    10
couching_school    8
pre_school    8
riding_school    8
boarding_school    6
kindergarten;school    6
nursery_school    6
diving_school    5
musical_school    5
private_school    5
professional_school    5
sport_school    5
art_school    4
school (historic)    4
tuition_school    4

And it goes on like that with things like cooking, dog, aviation, sailing,
art, etc schools.  So if this seems like the way forward, it would at least
be good to document a list of values people can refer to.

Also, fwiw, amenity=tutoring is used 15 times and amenity=tutor 9 times.

Brad