[Tagging] natural=????

John Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Sep 10 21:16:17 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 04:06 PM, Dominik George wrote:
> Why? If there is a difference, then there is a difference.
>
> BTW, mind fix your From name, Mrs. or Mr. Gmail?
>
> -nik
>

> Gmail <yvecai at gmail.com> schrieb:
>
>     In a geo database, tundra alone must be sufficient, don't you think ?
>

>     Tod Fitch <Tod at FitchDesign.com> a écrit :
>
>         I'd like to start adding some vegetation information to an area
>         in the mountains of Southern California. There are a couple of
>         situations that I am uncertain of the correct tagging of treeless
>         areas. For this query though I'll restrict it to areas at or
>         above timberline.
>
>         I believe the wide spread term to describe the ecosystem is
>         "alpine tundra". Certainly the Wikipedia article on southern
>         California mountains refers to it that way:
>
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_montane_chaparral
>
>         And the Wikipedia page regarding alpine tundra affirms it:
>
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_tundra
>
>         But the closest looking tag I see at
>         http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural  seems to be
>         natural=fell
>
>         Fell appears to be a UK centric description for a subset of
>         alpine tundra:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fell
>
>         There are currently no natural=*alpine* tags and only a handful
>         natural=tundra, the use of which seems to cover both alpine tundra
>         (mountains in Colorado) and arctic tundra (northern Canada, etc.)
>         without a way to distinguish which of the two are meant.
>
>         What are the thoughts of extending the natural tag to include:
>         natural=arctic_tundra, natural=alpine_tundra and, possibly,
>         natural=antarctic_tundra
>
>         With descriptions per Wikipedia:
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tundra
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_tundra

How would you tag tundra which was both alpine and arctic/antarctic (in
other words, on a mountain in either the Arctic or Antarctic regions)?
I know that Alaska and Antarctica both have some extensive mountain
ranges, as do parts of Scandinavia.  As far as I know, the Arctic
regions of both Canada and Siberia are relatively flat.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.