[Tagging] natural=????

Tod Fitch Tod at FitchDesign.com
Wed Sep 11 16:49:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, September 11, 2013 9:16 am, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2013/9/11 Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de>
>
>> there is simply no way with the current OSM data
>> model to properly map deserts.
>>

> +1, generally we are not well prepared to map huge geographic areas or
> ecosystems. I fear that also tundras fall into this kind of (at least
> currently) unmappable geo-stuff.

Backing off from a global solution, perhaps guidance on specific
relatively small areas could be given.

Drought winter in one area of interest:
http://kirnim.smugmug.com/2013Adventures-2/Mt-Pinos-Feb-2013/i-cJXHsLS/0/M/P1110823-M.jpg

Summer in another area:
http://www.nordicbase.org/files/web_images/sawmill_mtn.jpg

For the areas without trees, none of the natural=* tags I see at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural seem to exactly fit. "Fell"
appears to be closest but this email thread indicates that despite being
on the tag:natural wiki page is was not intended for this use.

I know we should not map for the renderer, but it appears that the default
OSM style does render wood, heath, grassland, etc. while it does not
appear to render fell. So I guess that is another indication that fell is
not a preferred value.

Thank you,
Tod