[Tagging] Mapping large areas (was natural=????)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Sep 12 04:10:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2013/9/11 Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de>
>
>> there is simply no way with the current OSM data model to properly map
>> deserts.
>>

> +1, generally we are not well prepared to map huge geographic areas or
> ecosystems. I fear that also tundras fall into this kind of (at least
> currently) unmappable geo-stuff. cheers,
> Martin

What would it take for the data model to evolve in that direction?
It would be great to be done with all the huge forest multi-polygons with
chunks out of them.
And it would be great to be able to apply "defaults" to large areas
rationally.

[People clearly want to map this way (example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/139343979  which maps dog leash
restrictions).  And it would be lovely to click on the outline of the
United States and set a default of "mph" for speed limit signs, or draw an
urban area and set the default to residential, or set an entire
neighborhood to underground utilities.]

I see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/The_Future_of_Areas
Is there an equivalent body of thought into how to apply defaults to huge
geographic areas?