[Tagging] Proposal for new tag: landuse=plot

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 18 14:46:59 UTC 2013

What is the essential difference between plot and lot in an OSM context?
Dictionaries often seem to treat them as synonyms when applying to a
"patch of land". But I'm a Brit... What's the US/AUS/CDN/NZ/etc view on
this?

Colin

On 2013-09-18 16:35, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> On 09/18/2013 09:17 AM, fly wrote:
> Am 18.09.2013 11:26, schrieb Lukas Hornby: Hi, Thanks for all your comments so far, very constructive. I've updated the comments to hopefully answer all of your concerns. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:landuse%3Dplot#Comments [1] In particular defnition seems to be key and I can confirm my definition is from a British perspective. Community garden is different in definition, both here and in the US (and elsewhere) but a useful comparison, as the ethos and values are usually similar. I'm aware the title is too generic. being new to OSM i'm not sure whether hierarchical tags (in a taxonomy) are encoraged or adjectival tags? First thing to consider would be that your intension is to map alloments' plots. As already mentioned this does not fit under landuse. Second; Should/Could this tag be used besides alloments ? There is ammenity=parking_space but I think it is the only tag describing "parcels/lots". If you decide to only use it for alloments a sim!
 ple
alloment:lot=yes would work as areas within landuse=alloment. Lots of alloments I know have fences between the single lots so be prepared to find lots of multipolygons as you would need one for each lot to proper define the ref=*.

Note that the word under discussion is "plot", not "lot".

Links:
------
[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:landuse%3Dplot#Comments