[Tagging] How to overcome lack of consensus

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 17:39:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Paul Churchley <paul at churchley.org> wrote:

> As a newcomer I always search, search and search again, both on the wiki and
> on ItoWorld, for tags to use and so far I have not had to invent any myself
> but I can imagine other newcomers, less determined to only use existing tags
> whenever possible, doing a cursory search, not finding anything suitable,
> and then just investing new tags when existing tags do exists if only they
> had found them.

I'm not sure what ItoWorld is doing here but the wiki is the right
place to document tags. It's open to create new tags. But if someone
creates a duplicate tag because he's not looking the documentation,
then he fails and his tag will never be "used" (the OSM database is
full of undocumented and "never used" tags). If the documentation is
unclear or incomplete, then we all fail.

Pieren