[Tagging] shop=social_market ?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Sep 22 14:33:51 UTC 2013

  Does "social market" make sense to native English speakers?

No.  I (US native, northeast) have no idea what that means.

We have things called "food pantry", which is a charity; people donate
food (or money, which the organization use to buy low-cost food from
supermarkets).  People who don't have enough money to buy food get
approved somehow (social worker or minister reference to be sure they
are actually needy and not just wanting free food) and then can come get
food (without paying).

So "social" doesn't make sense for food pantry, at least to me.  Among
things that might be "charity shops", there are

  food pantry kind of things (where the public can't just go, and they
  try to maintain confidentiality of who is using them)

  "thrift shops", which is secondhand stuff (usable) at very low prices,
  and typically people donate things to the organization running the
  shop (big example in US is the Salvation Army, also Good Will).
  Anyone can shop and pay, regardless of need, and it's considered
  perfectly ok for people who have enough money to buy things there.