[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Bridge types)

Christopher Hoess cahoess at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 16:02:07 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I've just been over the bridge types proposal <
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Bridge_types> which I
brought to the list twice earlier this year. I think the bugs have been
pretty well ironed out, and further changes would largely be a matter of
taste, so I bring it to you for voting.

Summary points since the last discussion:
The "bridge_type" key has been changed to the more appropriate
"bridge:structure". The installed base of "bridge_type" is relatively small
(547 objects), so this shouldn't be a big deal. Typology will stay in
"bridge" for simplicity.
I decided to keep the "bridge=movable"; "bridge:movable=..." tagging
scheme. I think the complexity of the movable bridge types, plus the fact
that the average person may not know how to distinguish them, makes a
two-tiered hierarchy reasonable here.
I dropped "culvert", since our accepted practice seems to use that to tag a
tunnel on the lower way at such crossings.

I know I can't please everyone in every point, but I think your input has
made this a very sound proposal with plenty of room for future extension.
Thanks for your consideration.

Yours gratefully,

--
Chris Hoess