[Tagging] proposal: intersection with equal roads

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Sep 24 15:56:06 UTC 2013

fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24.09.2013 17:03, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> > I think it makes sense to keep it in the same tag as give_way, stop,
> and
> > traffic_signals, which are all tagged as highway.
>
> I am not sure about this tag. I understand the intension but in
> Germany
> this is the default situation for all intersection if not marked
> different and I would prefer to not tag the default. E.g. get all
> traffic_signal, stop and give_way mapped and the rest would be "right
> before left".
>
> There might some cases with extra sign where it should be ok.
>
> Cheers
> fly
>
> P.S.: How to map a traffic_signal with additional sign for
> non-functional lights ? Does highway=traffic_signal;give_way work ?

The default behavior in the USA, at an intersection where all roads have a stop sign, is one vehicle at a time, in the order in which they reach the actual intersection.  Such an intersection is called a "four-way stop", or an "all-way stop" in cases where there are more or fewer than four ways involved.  The precedence rule is not explicitly signed, but drivers are expected to be aware of it.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.