[Tagging] waterfall

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Sep 26 11:16:53 UTC 2013

In UK english, a series of waterfalls are called falls.

Phil (trigpoint) 
Sent from my Nokia N9

On 26/09/2013 8:42 Volker Schmidt wrote:

No, my not was about basic physics, admittedly a bit pedantic:

As most waterfalls have a horizontal movement component  in addition to the component caused by gravity, the point where the falling water hits the ground is not exactly bellow the point where it starts its fall.

In addition, there is the more practical issue that often what is called a waterfall is a series of cascades. 

On 25 September 2013 21:20, Murry McEntire <murry.mcentire at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:


Many, if not all waterfalls are not vertical in the strict sense of the word.

World English Dictionary: waterfall: a cascade of falling water where there is a vertical or almost vertical step in a river. 

Maybe you are thinking of a series of waterfalls or a rapids or a combination of the two as a "waterfall"? 


Tagging mailing list
Tagging at openstreetmap.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20130926/9cf6ad72/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list