[Tagging] mapping qanats

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 21:33:05 UTC 2013

2013/9/28 Michał Sałaban <michal at salaban.info>

> I realized it is not easy to make a distinction between canal and
> aqueduct, but we may assume that the latter is usually for drinking
> water or irrigation of small areas of land. Everything dealing with
> navigation, flood protection or vast area irrigation would be rather a
> canal.

Yes, it's a fuzzier distinction than I thought. After a bit of reading i
guess an aqueduct is any man made structure that carries water, for
whatever purpose, even navigating boats. So canal is a type of aqueduct.

I like waterway=aqueduct. If it's on a bridge, bridge=yes, if it is on a
wall, barrier=wall. Quanat gets a tunnel=yes, and aqueduct=quanat. For the
holes maybe something like man_made=shaft?

Janko