[Tagging] Visual editor for the wiki (WAS: How to overcome lack of consensus)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Sep 28 23:40:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ouch, from LibreOffice menu and help, it looks like it's only able to
> store a wiki file, not to read and edit it.
> Pretty much useless.

Not sure - on my version of LibreOffice, I can connect to
wiki.openoffice.org with my userid and password. There is an option to send
to the wiki (File->Send->WikiMedia). Not sure how to connect to the wiki to
import a page. Creating a new page might be an option.

I wonder if anyone actually uses LibreOffice for wiki pages. Learning wiki
markdown takes a while. I can certainly see the desire to have a visual
editor. A visual editor could lower the bar for contributions.
http://de.slideshare.net/manuelaschmidt1/poster-dresden-icc has some
interesting statistics on why only a small portion of new users contribute.
The number one reason for not mapping is it is too time consuming. Not
exactly the same as editing the wiki and the sample size was small,but I
think it is safe to assume that people may not want to learn another editor
to contribute .

And in another light, I'm afraid to think of what that says about all of us!

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch