[Tagging] Issues relating to URIs and tagging

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Apr 1 19:07:14 UTC 2014

On 4/1/14 1:01 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> I'd be happy to do that; what do others think? While semantically
> correct, I think more mapper might understand "URL".
is it a URI or a URL? if it's strictly a URL, that's fine, URL as a term is
not deprecated, it's merely a subset of URI. but if you intend to
be able operate on the URN side of the URI house, then you need
to use URI properly.

as for ref, i think that the door to the barn has been open
for a long time and it may be challenging to accomplish a
general fix. i think instead that for specific entities that use
ref (e.g., highways) you'll get farther by specifying what ref
means for the class of entity.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux