[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Wikidata

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Wed Apr 2 11:46:42 UTC 2014

On 2 April 2014 09:47, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think these tags are essential because the wikidata tag should be used
> very carefully. People are probably going to start tagging McDonalds
> restaurants with wikidata=Q38076. That is (maybe not so obviously) wrong
> because that little restaurant isn't a multinational company. It's a
> restaurant that uses their franchise.

Is the assumption that one Wikidata object should correspond to at
most one OSM object? If so, it would be good to make that assumption
explicit.

I think using Wikidata would also make it easier for external parties
to link their data to OSM data. Currently that's very difficult
because OSM identifiers are not guaranteed to be stable. For example,
someone who wants to make a database of restaurant reviews could link
their reviews to the Wikidata identifier, and use that identifier to
fetch the geographic location.

If Wikidata turns out successful, in the long run we might even
migrate tags like cuisine= and wheelchair= to Wikidata (although
that's probably a license nightmare, again one of the reasons why I
dislike the current license). We might even create OSM editors that
can edit Wikidata directly transparent to the user (some fields would
be OSM fields, some fields would be Wikidata fields).

-- Matthijs