[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Wikidata

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:36:41 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not so sure about operator:wikidata=* (or wikidata:operator=* as
>> suggested on the wiki talk page) and the other similar tags like that. I
>> think this should be discussed more since the current set of proposed
>> supplementary tags seem like an arbitrary set. Why these (operator, brand,
>> artist, etc.) and not others? If we can conceivably tag other properties
>> with Wikidata entities, we should have a more generalized scheme for adding
>> such tags.
>>

> What do you suggest?
>
> I think these tags are essential because the wikidata tag should be used
> very carefully. People are probably going to start tagging McDonalds
> restaurants with wikidata=Q38076 <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q38076>.
> That is (maybe not so obviously) wrong because that little restaurant isn't
> a multinational company. It's a restaurant that uses their franchise.
>
> That's why there should be several predefined tags so we don't end up with
> lots of bad data.
>
> operator:wikidata is better IMHO because you can also have
> operator:source, operator:webpage, and it makes more sense to do it in that
> order.

I would suggest that a requirement for a foo:wikidata=* tag (or
wikidata:foo=* tag) is that foo=* is already an established tag. After all,
the point of linking to Wikidata in the first place is we want a semantic
way of indicating an entity.

For example, there are lots of things named McDonald's and this makes
something like name=McDonald's or brand=McDonald's ambiguous. But by
linking to a particular McDonald's in Wikidata, we specify exactly which
McDonald's we are talking about.

Thus, I think that brand:wikidata=* or operator:wikidata=* is a semantic
version of brand=* and operator=*. So, foo:wikidata=* makes a lot of sense
if we already have foo=* in the first place.