[Tagging] noexit=yes on ways ?

Florian Schäfer florian at schaeferban.de
Thu Apr 3 19:50:02 UTC 2014

Hello,

Am 03.04.2014 21:22, schrieb SomeoneElse:
> fly wrote:
>> Is noexit=yes useful on ways ?
>>

> Asking a slightly broader question, in what situations is "noexit=yes"
> useful at all, except as a cue to subsequent mappers in the very rare
> situation that one way ends very close to another one and there's
> absolutely nothing (not a wall, footpath, anything) between them?
In the diskussion on the German ML, some users pointed out, that it is
rendered on some (esp. outdoor-)maps to indicate, that the way really
ends. Because otherwise one could think that the mapper who added this
way has just entered the first part of the way and forgot to tag
fixme=continue or something similar.
And obviously there is the advantage for QA-tools to filter out
false-positive unconnected-way-errors.

By the way: I am the user who started the discussion on talk-de. And my
intention was to define the usage of the tag more precisely and to point
out, that there are currently situations, where this tag is used but
where it makes no sense.
For example it was used at entrances of buildings, because the way ends
there of course (I oppose this usage). And the discussion showed, that
it makes no sense there, because some people can always enter an
entrance, so is not a deadend.
Another conclusion from the discussion was, that noexit=yes should only
be used where no person can travel further.

For a more complete overview over the conclusions, see the german
Wiki-page [1] (Google translate: [2]), which I've updated today with the
insights from the discussion.

Cheers,
Florian

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Key:noexit