[Tagging] noexit=yes on ways ?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 01:00:27 UTC 2014

I think the Wiki is abundantly clear on the usage of this tag.

I says, among other things, that it is to be used on a node, not on a way,
and that

"This tag is mainly useful where a road or path ends close to another way
but where it isn't possible to get through due to a barrier or other
obstruction which may otherwise look like a mistake for a connection to the
nearby road"

the photo illustrates such a "dead-end" perfectly.

I cannot understand why people are having such a difficult time with this.
It is to be used to tag the end node of a way from which there is no way
forward — i.e., if you're traveling along this way, when you come to this
point you will have to turn around and go out the way you came in.

Dave

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 6:56 AM, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 2014-04-06 00:07, John F. Eldredge wrote :
>
> If you don't use noexit=yes on ways, what do you use it on?
>
>  How do you understand "Use the *noexit*<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Noexit>
> =yes tag on the node at the end of a highway<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>
> =* ..."?
> If you read the wiki page very very carefully, you will conclude that it
> must be used almost on nothing.
> I mean that it must be very very seldom used and that 99%+ of those 200
> 000+ tags are errors.
>
>    I don't see that it would be meaningful on nodes, areas, or relations.
>
>  What do you think it means?
>
> Cheers,
>
>   André.
>
>  On April 4, 2014 9:14:24 AM CDT, "Nelson A. de Oliveira" <naoliv at gmail.com> <naoliv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 10:54 AM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> <lowflight66 at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On 03.04.2014 21:22, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> <lowflight66 at googlemail.com>
>
>  wrote:
>
>   Is noexit=yes useful on ways ?
>
>  The way has one side that has/is an exit :-)
> Tagging the whole way as "noexit=yes" seems strange.
>
>  If it is accepted, I gonna hange the wiki accordingly and gonna ask

>  for validator checks in JOSM, as we have more than 100,000 ways with
> this tag.
>
>  Basically I agree with the current text ofhttp://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:noexit (except that I don't
> agree to use it on ways).
>
> I also can't see why, but people also use noexit=nohttp://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/noexit#values