[Tagging] Utility tag values replacement

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:40:26 UTC 2014

On 07.04.2014 15:53, François Lacombe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was told of the utility=* key when discussing about a connex topic.
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/utility#values
>
> Some of the values associated with this particular key should (don't
> have to but should) be replaced by more common and approved tags.
>
> Here is some items. Don't do mass edit but look carefully to each object.
> utility=pole => power=pole (or power=tower) - Only if the pole carries
> power lines.

What about man_made=pole/mast/tower ?

> utility=power_sub_station => power=substation
> utility=electric => power=* - We have to choose the value which best
> match the need.
> utility=electricity => power=* - Idem
> utility=power => power=* - Idem
> utility=power_station => power=substation or power=plant - Depends of
> what is it actually, a plant or a substation ?
>
> Have a look to power map features
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features#Power

I do not mind if you retag the "real" power facilities but think it is
enough to simply add your tags and leave the rest as utility=* does not
interfere with power=* .

> Feel free to let us know if you mind this replacement.

Please always try to get in contact with the original editor.

We had a discussion about how to tag telephone cable some month ago, do
you remember ? Maybe someone tries to better group these kind of
infrastructure.

Do not think that utility is the best name though as it is too
unspecific and leaves room for to much interpretation.

My 2 cents
fly