[Tagging] noexit=yes on ways ?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Apr 8 15:16:58 UTC 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 3:10 AM, Pieren wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 3:48 AM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Please, return to earth. Tagging traffic signs is just a funny
> activity in fully mapped areas. How do you specify a speed limit in
> OSM ? with a "traffic_sign" tag on a node or primarily with the
> "maxspeed" on the way ? I could repeat the same question for many
> other features.

I've seen areas where previous mapper(s) have put traffic_sign nodes adjacent to a way with speed limit information and did not put a maxspeed tag on the way itself. I suspect they weren't/aren't programmers. :)

For what it is worth, the only time I use noexit=yes is on nodes at the end of a way. And only there if the way ends close enough to another way that JOSM gives me a warning. From a topological point of view it is useless, to quiet nonsense warnings it is useful.

-Tod