[Tagging] noexit=yes on ways ?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:47:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 6:38 PM, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>wrote:

>    1. noexit cannot be used on ways because that does not show what end
>    "cannot pass"

eeh, what "what end" ? Either the highway line is linked to another highway
at both ends, then "noexit" is a tagging mistake. Or the highway line is
not linked to another highway on both ends and then the "noexit" can be
helpful (confirming tha'ts really an isolated highway and not some
connection missing)

>    1.
>    2. noexit is unsuitable for full routing because it does not apply to
>    a particular means of transport (unlike a hypothetic bicycle=noexit)
>
> True, it's mainly (only?) usefull for QA tools checking if the highway not
connected to the next highway is a mapping mistake or not (which is also
explained correctly in the first wiki paragraph).

>    1. a noexit like tag is unnecessary for routing; routing has got all
>    it takes
>    2. noexit is used to draw the attention of sanity checks on the
>    validity of the tagging
>    3. it could also highlight the no-passing condition when it's barely
>    visible on the map, but if it were rendered
>     4. there is no need to tag each and every "noexit"; we're not
>    dressing a Xmas tree.
>
> All correct. But it does not imply that the tag has to be on the last node.

Pieren