[Tagging] noexit=yes on ways ?

Florian Schäfer florian at schaeferban.de
Thu Apr 10 14:26:56 UTC 2014

Am 10.04.2014 15:54, schrieb Pieren:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, there is one person against wiki fiddling and in favour of using
>> it on ways, who simply does change the just corrected version without
>> further discussion.
> Well, consider that I'm speaking in the name of the contributors who
> added 118000 'noexit' on ways.
I don't want to blame any of those mappers. They probably used it on
ways, because they saw, that the wiki allows usage on ways and they
didn't think about several disadvantages.
>> As we have many contributers to this discussion
>> which are in favour of using it only on nodes and your are so far the
>> only one completely against it. Not to talk about, that the original
>> created page did only nodes.
>> Would you please revert your changes from yesterday.
> The 3 or 4 on this ML are not able to explain or convince why the
> noexit tag on the way is wrong.
I have made several attempts to explain that, and others have done that
too. Could you please explain, why our arguments don't convince you?
> Again, if we consider that the tag is
> only required for QA tools and only required for impasses ending
> nearby another highway, the presence of the tag on the last node or on
> the last way is not important.
True, in the most cases it is not important. But sometimes it is, for
example in my T-deadend example, mentioned on this ML.
All cases can be covered by the tagging on nodes. The tagging on ways
can't cover all cases (deadends with more than one end) and causes
problems for example when splitting ways. For more disadvantages read
the mails by the "3 or 4" people on this ML.
Therefore I'd recommend in the Wiki to use it always on nodes to avoid
the problems with way-tagging.
> Note that I'm just restoring the original state in the wiki (check the history).
That is not an argument. The original state of a wikipage is not
necessarily the best state.

Cheers,
Florian