[Tagging] direction=forward/backward on nodes ?

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 19:35:32 UTC 2014

I'm surprised that so many people are jumping to this conclusion. Let's
remember that a way is just a series of nodes in a particular order. So
a node is not necessarily an isolated object. In many cases, it exists
solely as part of a way. Thus the concept of direction is not
meaningless for a node which is part of a way. I haven't examined any
uses of the tag on a node, but I can imagine, for instance, that a node
in a way with a direction attribute might be used to represent a
road-sign that applies only to traffic on the way passing that node in a
particular direction.

Steve