[Tagging] layer=-1, rivers, bridges and tunnels

Ilpo Järvinen ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi
Tue Apr 22 19:54:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014, Richard Z. wrote:

> > Layer tag is a *hint* to the renderer, nothing more.
>
> the wiki page says
> <<
> The layer=* tag is one of several methods used to describe vertical
> relationships between crossing or overlapping features.
> >>

> Not a single word of a "hint to the renderer" anywhere in the article.

What would be the other "methods"?

> Now what is that key:layer anyway? Given that nobody knows or cares how it
> works does it do more good than harm? Do we need it at all?
> Or should we make a fresh start with something well defined and deprecate
> this mess?

I personally think that only thing that would need to be added/defined, is
sensible defaults for bridges/tunnels (less weight than layer=*) and get
"validators" updated. For some yet to be explained reasons, some people
spread FUD about that being impossible but it's clearly incorrect claim
if the implicit default is correctly defined.

The (supposed) problem with layer=-1 on rivers this thread is about would
be magically solved and all those could be eventually be removed (not in a
mass-removal but more carefully).

--
 i.