[Tagging] Internet Café = Café ?!?

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Wed Aug 6 08:51:21 UTC 2014

> It seems you're getting confused.

I just forgott the most important link. My mistake. Maybe that makes it
a bit more clear.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:internet_access

And there you can see that the advice so far is to tag Internet Cafes as
amenity=cafe + internet_access=terminal

In my opinion that is not a "Internet Cafe", but "A cafe that offers
internet access".

> If, as it appears in your photos,
> these establishments don't serve beverages etc then they're not Internet
> cafés, just places you can get access to the internet.

But that is the common usage of the word internet cafe. In the first
place it's a place that has several computers with internet access. In
addition to that it might offer drink&food.

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dinternet_cafe

Which was created by me this morning, when I found serveral of those
tags on tagginfo.

> The statement "Internet cafés are primarily cafés" would be more
> accurate if 'are primary' was replaced with 'include'.

I'm assuming you looked at amenity=internet_cafe? The quote came from
the other wiki page where the advice was to tag as amenity=cafe +
internet_access=terminal, which was my problem. But yeah I caused some
confusion by missing that one link I guess...