[Tagging] Using highway=footway as an area

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sun Aug 10 14:53:44 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 17:06, Dave F. wrote:
> Hi
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/51.49428/-0.12149
>
> I've noticed highway=footway is being used as an area across Lambeth
> Bridge: North side as a closed polygon; South side within a relation.
> (checking the history previously they were both highway=pedestrian.

Regardless of whether it's mapped as a footway or as a pedestrian area
it looks like a fairly extreme case of "mapping for the renderer with no
thought given to map usability".  If you look in the area of this node:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2622468074

The data as it exists now suggests that there's no access west from this
"footway island" to the pedestrian crossing across Millbank, or actually
anywhere on the west bank of the Thames.  This pedestrian island
functionally duplicates the "real footway"
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/256600109 (from which you can get north
and south, though not west)

I'd be in favour of a similar linear / area split as there is with
rivers = "waterway=river" - is the line of the river for e.g. routing
purposes; "waterway=riverbank"the outline of the bank which can be used
for rendering but ignored for routing.

Cheers,
Andy