[Tagging] Mapping cave tunnels passable by human

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 11:49:08 UTC 2014

On 14/08/2014 12:18, Dan S wrote:
>> I am not sure about English terminology. In German, we call natural cavities
>> "Höhlen" (caves), and artificial cavities "Stollen" (adits?). A straight
>> "Stollen" with an entrance on each end is a "Tunnel" (tunnel). I think that
>> the meaning of the English word "tunnel" is just the same as in German. In
>> that case, tunnels and caves are mutually exclusive.
> Not in my native opinion, but let's see what other natives think too.

Sometimes I think that it's a real shame that OSM didn't start in
Germany - it'd much easier to be _precise_ about some things.

The word "adit" is rarely if ever used in common parlance - locally to
me (Derbyshire, England) it's usually used to describe mineworking
drainage tunnels.  Wikipedia (1) suggests a more general use for
horizontal shafts (for e.g. into a drift mine) but I'm not familiar with
that usage (and there are many mineworkings very local to me, including
one major former drift mine).  It certainly doesn't refer to all
artificial cavities.

It's also worth bearing in mind that whatever word you use there isn't a
simple distinction between "natural" and "artificial" caverns - many
early mineworkings were extensions of natural cave systems (and cavers
also sometimes "extend" natural systems to connect them and allow
further exploration).

Cheers,

Andy

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adit