[Tagging] Mapping cave tunnels passable by human

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:09:53 UTC 2014

Hi,

First, let us not confuse speleology and tourism.
OSM is the most interesting for touristic caves to walk in 2D.
Speleologists have their own 3D maps showing where to crawl.
I worked in a touristic cave when I was a student and I can tell you
that the paths look very much like man-made, especially the main
entrance that nobody would call anything else than a tunnel.
I wasn't, of course, thinking of using a (let alone) GPS to find my way
through a cave, but I would love this dialog with tourists in a cave: -
What's that map? - OpenStreetMap. Why? Doesn't it work with Google?

So, my first conclusion is: why do we insist on sticking the concept to
either cave or tunnel instead of both?

On 2014-08-14 15:47, Janko Mihelić wrote :
> The reason "renderers don't render it" is invalid because of one of
> the oldest rules in OSM: don't tag for the renderer.
There goes that nude saying again.
Tagging for the renderer is *making a tagging mistake* to obtain some
rendering.
There would be no tagging mistakes if we decided that "tunnel" applies
to some caves.
Now, regarding the difficulty to render cave=*, it's a well known fact
that many people complain to tag in vain because what they tag doesn't
show on the map (e.g. a mini-golf vs tennis pitch), because they're told
to open a rendering ticket which replies that only official tags are
supported, and because they open a vote for an official tag and nobody
signs.

The second conclusion is that it's really difficult to obtain rare
rendering, and especially like this:

On 2014-08-14 14:00, SomeoneElse wrote :
> On 14/08/2014 12:22, André Pirard wrote:
>>
>> I know I still have to learn that OSM is fuzzy, but using "cave=yes"
>> for paths would first need a definition of it in the "highway=*"  page.
>
> No, it really wouldn't(1).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy
>
> (1) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like - and yes,
> that page does discuss "Documenting tags not in Map Features" and
> "What not to map" too.
And as nobody would like to show a blank map to tourists in a cave, they
will tag for the renderer.
The nude sentence should be "don't have mappers to be forced to tag for
the renderer" instead.

André.