[Tagging] RENDER

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 17:33:52 UTC 2014

> Il giorno 15/ago/2014, alle ore 16:31, Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de> ha scritto:
>
> not a good idea IMHO.

+1, I think it has several problems, eg that it would slowdown overall development of tagging and rendering (why should mapper joe add tags to describe something well if it already renders with render=#1144AE) and the same for the rendering rules. Also it would give too much power to the single contributor (decide which object will render) hence lead to inconsistency. Will also create problems because there will generally be lots of overlapping features, eg in a city builtup space, administrative divisions, landuse, landcover, amenities etc

> 1) what is the feature this tag should refer to? Consider a polygon that
> is tagged as a building (building=yes) and a shop (shop=supermarked) and
> a Walmart (operator=WalMart), and the mapper added RENDER=blue.

This example is flawed because this would generally be bad tagging (all tags won't be clearly associated with one of these features, also for the name or the operator or ... it won't be clear to which object they refer to, the building or the shop

cheers,
Martin