[Tagging] separator for addr:housenumber=*

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 14:15:20 UTC 2014

> Hey
>
> On the English wiki page [1] "comma" is the proposed separator for
> several values of addr:housenumber.
>
> This contradicts our rule of using "semi-colon" as separator of values
> and I do not have a clue why.

Probably led by what users are already doing, and probably because
renderers produce natural-looking results for places where commas are
conventional. This could be considered tagging-for-the-renderer, if it
weren't already an established micro-convention. I agree with you it's
out of step with convention for other tags.

> I propose to deprecate "comma" and use "semi-colon" instead to harmonize
> our data structure and allow QA software to find problematic values.
>
> What do you think ?

I don't mind. I'm happy with your proposal, if there's enough support for it.

To prevent the tagging-for-the-renderer, it would help if the main
styles would automatically convert "1;3" to "1, 3" when rendering -
I'd be surprised if they already do that, but it would help your
proposal actually happen!

Dan