[Tagging] problem with bicycle=designated

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 07:11:50 UTC 2014

> In The Netherlands we more or less have agreement on this scheme
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle_tags_map#Cycleway_tags>for
> tagging cycleways, cycle streets. I've also noticed this is totally
> different from the schemes used in Germany and other countries. During the
> discussion on the proposal use_cycleway
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Bicycle_use_cycleway>
> (now accepted tag=  use_sidepath
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle%3Duse_sidepath>) we've
> seen there are many (legal) differences between countries.  There is no
> agreement on how to tag different kind of cycleways. That's been a reason
> for me to start tagging the traffic_sign tag on cycleways
> <http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~peewee32/traffic_sign/traffic_sign.htm>.
> Once we get to an agreement on how to explicitly tag these we can easily
> change that based on the traffic_sign tag.

It is not so different. Is there some tag used to differentiate between
following situation
- road is one-way direction but not for cyclist, there is a contraflow lane
- road is one-way direction but not for cyclist, there is no contraflow
lane

According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway in the first
situation cycleway=opposite_lane
should be used and cycleway=opposite for the second situation. I also use
oneway:bicycle=no in addition
to this two, not instead what I think makes more sense and data is easier
to use.

Main difference is usage of cycleway=track, cycleways like that would be
considered as separate in Poland.

And there is no consideration for cycleways mixed with footways
[highway=path; bicycle=designated;
foot=designated; segregated=yes/no].

> That's been a reason for me to start tagging the traffic_sign tag on
> cycleways
> <http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/%7Epeewee32/traffic_sign/traffic_sign.htm>.
> Once we get to an agreement on how to explicitly tag these we can easily
> change that based on the traffic_sign tag.

Can you link proposal on wiki? I am unable to find it.