[Tagging] Wayside shrines that are not historic

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Tue Aug 19 15:23:53 UTC 2014

Mateusz Konieczny wrote, on 2014-08-19 16:45:
> How one should tag wayside shrine that is not historic?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wayside_shrine is not providing
> an answer.

That question was asked 2010 already on the discussion page.

I agree that 'historic' is ambiguous in the first place, since
it does not specify if historic means old vs. recently built,
or out of use vs. still being used.

Secondly, they are certainly being used for acts of worshipping,
historic or not, e.g. when sitting in a bus in Greece I see
people worshipping even when the vehicle just passes by.

Thus combining amenity=place_of_worship with the appropriate
building tag  building=wayside_[shrine|cross] appears plausible.

Is is important here to give the renderer a clue at which zoom
level to draw it, since amenity=place_of_worship is currently
heavily used for buildings of significant size such as
churches/temples/mosques (376000 as nodes and 232000 as ways,
only 33% having a building tag).

This would also emphasise to limit the use of
amenity=place_of_worship to the actual place that is used
for the worshipping, i.e. the weekly/daily congregation,
and the individual praying;
and not for larger areas/campuses around such places,
where I prefer landuse=religious