[Tagging] Forest vs Wood

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:06:43 UTC 2014

> Il giorno 20/ago/2014, alle ore 19:45, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> Wood: Woodland with no forestry
> Forest: Managed woodland or woodland plantation.

isn't woodland less dense then a forest? I think a true forest needs to have some extent in order to be a forest (e.g. for habitat reasons, the ecosystem forest needs some space or will collapse/become something more like a park), while a wood might also be smaller and "woodland" is a different type again, a patchwork of shrubs, trees and grass/heath/rock (etc., according to climate and region).

The idea that a forest differs from woodland by the amount of management is a concept I have only seen in osm so far, it developed after both tags had already been in use, out of the wish to make some sense from the crowd-grown chaos.

cheers,
Martin