[Tagging] Ambiguous surface=wood

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 07:07:50 UTC 2014

I'd say it's very rare that "wood" could be interpreted as possibly
meaning "woodchip". Woodchip has very different material properties,
and different affordances for travellers. A little bit like saying
"wood" might mean "sawdust" ;)

surface=woodchip is used more often than surface=woodchips, though
neither of them is used very much at the moment:
taginfo.openstreetmap.org/compare/surface=woodchip/surface=woodchips

I would advocate "surface=woodchip" (singular), and preserve the
existing meaning of surface=wood as planks.

Maybe we should document "surface=woodchip"?

Just my 2p
Dan