[Tagging] separator for addr:housenumber=*

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 10:15:41 UTC 2014

> On 20.08.2014 10:18, Holger Jeromin wrote:
>> Andreas Labres wrote on 20.08.2014 04:10:
>>
>> Read as "tagging 265-267 alone is wrong".
>>
>>> Disagree. addr:housenumber is the official number given to that building. And if
>>> it's "265-267", then addr:housenumber=265-267 is the only correct implementation
>>> of this.
>>
>> But osm db needs a hint that 266 is missing. That is obvious on the
>> street (by looking at the right and left building) but not in the data.
>
> The OSM db does not need to know about (the meaning of) housenumbers. Its
> sole purpose is to store data. In this case, the housenumber is "265-267",
> literally! This is not a shortcut for "265;266;267".

Agree strongly - I think it is a mistake to say "osm db needs a hint
that 266 is missing" when considering an address which is officially
labelled as "265-267". If addresses truly are compounds like that (and
not number-ranges) then we can't really make standard inferences about
which numbers are "present" and which are "missing".

> Applications should not attempt to resolve housenumbers that way.

...unless they have been explicitly marked with "addr:interpolation",
which tells us explicitly that they should be resolved :) - discussed
in a separate thread recently.

Dan