[Tagging] Proposed change to Tag:access=designated page

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sun Aug 24 12:02:12 UTC 2014

On 24/08/2014 11:43, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> For me, "designated" means that there's a respective sign, e.g. a cycleway
> sign => bicycle=designated.
>
> For compulsory use, *=official was introduced, but that tag is rather
> useless without a relation to the way where access is forbidden.

I'd tend to use "designated" rather than "yes" where there's a sign
saying "go this way" where there wouldn't normally be one; where it's
somehow an exception.  For an example of this, have a look here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/53.36141/-1.25996

(it's a brand new road, so no background imagery I'm afraid)

The footpath from the south is a "public footpath" (an English/Welsh
legal term which means that you're allowed to walk on it, despite it
being across private land, where you wouldn't normally be allowed to
go*).  I've interpreted that as "foot=yes" rather than
"foot=designated"***.

The road is a dual carriageway with an armco barrier, but with no
signage at either end saying that you can't walk along or across it.
There is a wide cycleway/footway at each side of the road****.

There is signage at the north end of the southern footpath pointing
pedestrians to the right (to cross the road at the crossing near the
roundabout).  I've interpreted this as "foot=designated" on the southern
and northern bits of cycleway to the crossing.

Footways (and even bridleways) crossing dual carriageways in the UK
aren't rare; other than the bit of the highway code**  that says "follow
the signs", there isn't anything that says that it's "foot=no" across
the road, which is why I've used "=designated" on the route via the
crossing.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

Cheers,

Andy

* I love our legal system
** The "user friendly" summary of all of the various bits of road
legislation
*** There are UK mappers who add "foot=designated" to all public
footpaths, but they're very much in the minority.
**** and arguably could in the future be mapped as separate ways.